Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Week 3

My apologies for posting this up 2 days after class, class ended and I wanted to finish this, but I happen to have had diarrhea from Wednesday evening, and now, I'm back on track to post it up... :o)

Last week, I was exposed to the definition of Public Relations (PR). Today is the second lesson for CMNS 1290. The topic for today is Strategy, Tactics & Evaluation in PR.

One thing from lecture that makes me so sure that PR is far more effective than advertising is that; Advertising says: "I'm great" but PR says: "I'm great and I agree!" To me, I think that makes PR effective in a sense that there is more "personal touch" involved in PR, making it more effective than advertising.

The main thing picked up from the lecture today is that; strategy, meaning, research, analysis and evaluation underpins PR. PR campaigns are organized to create awareness among the people on a current issue such as UNESCO's TAP Project, in providing clean water supply for the people in Africa, global warming and many others.

Then, last week's blog- I posted a link to a video on Youtube about Silk Air. The "Cinema Takeover" that they launch as part of their PR campaign serves to give a better image of their airline. And all of these efforts can be summed up with 1 word, and that is: Strategy.

You need to have strategy in order to come up with a successful PR campaign. And it is important to make sure that these campaigns are successful, because they actually consume physical, financial and human resources quickly.

I feel that PR plays an important role in the organization, given the fact that it is more than advertising, it's managing people in the organization, managing brands and products and crisis too, as mentioned in the previous post.

You need to have strategy in order to come up with a successful PR campaign. And it is important to make sure that these campaigns are successful, because they actually consume physical, financial and human resources quickly.

I feel that PR plays an important role in the organization, given the fact that it is more than advertising, it's managing people in the organization, managing brands and products and crisis too, as mentioned in the previous post.

And in PR, when doing campaigns, there's this acronym; "SMART" which stands for:

Specific
Measurable
Acheivable

Results-oriented
in a Time Frame

For me, I think it's great, because this form of planning, the outcome is measurable and tangible, in a certain period- and it's a form of motivation.

That's so much for this week. Till the next!

No comments:

Post a Comment